Saturday, May 29, 2010

Little Moments in the Hostel

So I am living in a youth hostel called Cape Town Backpackers. Tonight is my last night here.

Ok I need to tell this story to give a little glimpse of life around the hostel. Living in a hostel is kinda like living in a college dorm room with a bunch more people in closer quarters, and then add a full bar on the hall. It is truly a combustable setting.

Last night (Friday night) I got back from Khayelitsha, got dinner, journaled and read for a while, and went to bed around 11. Between 10:30 pm and 2:30 pm is the quietest time of the night around here as everyone is finished with their drinking in the hostel and are out on the town, so at 11 pm there last night there was no one in the room and I fell asleep really quickly.

The tough part of the night was when the crew stumbled back in. My 5 roomates didn't make it back until around 4:30 am. I was more than a little frustrated at them for rousting me, but I rolled back over and tried to get back to sleep. Just as I was dozing back off I heard a huge crash and the sound of bare skin slapping the polished brick floor. I looked down to see one of the two Argentinans rolling around on the floor having fallen out of his top bunk bed. He hit really hard.

Call me a bad guy but I deeply enjoyed laughing at this guy for a couple of minutes as he rolled around on the floor in pain. The Argentinans have kinda been on my bad side because since they first got here they periodically douse the entire room with AXE spray deoderant (aweful), and after all, he did wake me up from a great sleep. I did eventually check to make sure he was ok. He didn't really acknowledge me but seemed to shake off the tumble, and after lying on the floor for a good little while, he managed to summon the courage to attempt the climb back up to his top bunk, more succesfully on the second try.

It is those little moments that stick with you ya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers